Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Which travel ticket should I get?

Partner %26amp; I are off to Berlin tomorrow - our first visit!! Arriving at Schonefeld airport at 21.30 on 21/5/07,. Return flight is 21.55 on 24/5/07. Staying at Express Holiday Inn on Stresemannstrasse.





I have read that the City Tourcard ABC is a good travel ticket to get for a short stay. Please could someone advise:





Will this City Tourcard ABC get me from the airport to my hotel tomorrow?



(I%26#39;ve been advised to go on express S9 on the S-Bahn going to Grunewald, change lines at Friedrichstrasse and either get onto the S26 going to Tetlow Stadt, the S2 going to Blankenfelde or the S1 to Potsdam Haupbanhof and get off at Anhalter Banhof).





Can I buy the City Tourcard ABC at the airport terminal?





Is the 72hr version of the City Tourcard literally 72 hours from time of purchase, or 3 days?



(i.e. will it only last for 21st, 22nd %26amp; 23rd May %26amp; then I have to buy new ticket for travel on 24th?)





If the City Tourcard isn%26#39;t appropriate, what sort of single ticket would I need for this first journey from airport to Anhalter Banhof?





We%26#39;re getting there fairly late, so want to make the process as easy as possible %26amp; be prepared - hence all the questions!!





Thanks to everyone for their help.




|||



I am afraid I cannot help you with your questions concerning the City Tourcard ABC. What I can tell you is that a single ticket costs 2.10€.





However, each time I was in Berlin I used the Tageskarte (ticket for a day), which allows a person to use all kind of public transport in a day (but NOT 24 hours from the time of purchase) for 6€.





Another possibility (not your case because there are only 2 of you) is to get a Kleingruppekarte (ticket for small groups). With this ticket a group of up to 5 people can use all kind of public transport in a day for 15€.





Just one more thing: all kind of tickets can be bought at the airport train station (5 minutes away from the terminal on foot). That´s all what I can tell you. I hope you enjoy Berlin!




|||



%26gt; Will this City Tourcard ABC get me from the airport to my hotel tomorrow?



Yes. Actually AB would be sufficient. Zone C is only required if you plan a visit to places outside of Berlin, like Potsdam or Oranienburg.





%26gt; (I%26#39;ve been advised to go on express S9 on the S-Bahn going to Grunewald, change lines at Friedrichstrasse and either get onto the S26 going to Tetlow Stadt, the S2 going to Blankenfelde or the S1 to Potsdam Haupbanhof and get off at Anhalter Banhof).





BVG timetable is more reliable than such advices



fahrinfo-berlin.de/Fahrinfo/bin/query.bin/en…



From: SXF



To: Stresemannstr. 49





%26gt; Can I buy the City Tourcard ABC at the airport terminal?



Yes. You can buy it also from ticket machines.





%26gt; Is the 72hr version of the City Tourcard literally 72 hours from time of purchase, or 3 days?



72 hours




|||



Thanks for the advice. Much appreciated.





A couple more things:





Do I need to validate/stamp the 72hr City Tourcard each time I travel?





I presume my City Tourcard will be ok on all public transport - bus, train %26amp; u-bahn?





I%26#39;ve used the BVG weblink you suggested but I%26#39;m a bit confused. Some of the suggested routes on the BVG site show I%26#39;d need to get a bus, then change onto the S9/S3/S25 (S-bahn overland train as I understand it) or the U7 (U-bahn - underground?).





Others suggest I get the RB14/RE7 - are these buses or trains?





Also, the lakes at Wannasee have been recommended. Would the ABC tourcard get us out there?





Thanks again.




|||



tripadvisor.com/Travel-g187323-s301/Berlin:G…





Either take AirportExpress trains RB14/RE7 or S-Bahn S9 to Friedrichstraße and change there for any southbound S-Bahn (below ground level). Alight at Anhalter Bahnhof.





www.meinberlin.de/citytourcard/ctc/…



Ticket should be available from the BVG ticket machines at the airport. You only have to validate your City Tour Card once before first usage. Since it%26#39;s valid for 72hrs you could use it for travel on %26quot;four%26quot; days, i.e. from 21st / 2200 hrs to 24th / 2200 hrs.




|||



Thanks Berlin112. That%26#39;s perfect!



Getting very excited about our visit now!!



Does anyone know how we would get to the lakes at Wannasee? Can I use the City Tour Card?



Cheers!




|||



%26gt; I presume my City Tourcard will be ok on all public transport - bus, train %26amp; u-bahn?



Yes. Covered are



- regional trains



-- RB RegionalBahn



-- RE RegionalExpress



- S-Bahn



- U-Bahn



- trams



- buses



- plus some ferries





%26gt; I%26#39;ve used the BVG weblink you suggested but I%26#39;m a bit confused. Some of the suggested routes on the BVG site show I%26#39;d need to get a bus, then change onto the S9/S3/S25 (S-bahn overland train as I understand it) or the U7 (U-bahn - underground?).



The BVG timetable suggest the fastest route. It does not care if this is the most convenient (i.e. number of changes) or if it provides the best views.





The U of U-Bahn is indeed for underground (German: Untergrund). But at some parts the U-Bahn runs elevated above surface.



And while the S-Bahn runs mostly on surface or elevated, it runs also underground in some central parts. E.g. at Anhalter Bahnhof.





http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anhalter_Bahnhof



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_S-Bahn



http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Berlin_U-Bahn







%26gt; Also, the lakes at Wannasee have been recommended. Would the ABC tourcard get us out there?



Yes. Wannsee is in zone %26quot;Berlin B%26quot;.




|||



Thanks for all the info abalada.



What a great resource this site is! Thanks to all who%26#39;ve helped me out.



Off to pack my shorts now - I hear it%26#39;s hot over in Germany at the moment....



Cheers!




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 1:18 pm, September 01, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment