Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Thoughts on Hotel Mercure and Hotel Melia

Greetings to everyone:





I am from Canadaa and will be travelling in Berlin with my old age parents this summer. I have been looking at hotels and feedbacks here and now I am debating in my mind about two hotels: Hotel Melia and Hotel Mercure Checkpoint Charlie.





I%26#39;ve never been to Berlin and have no ideas of locations and what the two hotels will be like, other than from what has been written on their website.





I%26#39;ll be grateful if you can share what you think of them, especially on ease of transport to and from airport, to the major sightseeing sites, such as the Museum Island and Potsdamer Platz, two places that I particularly look forward to visit.





Hotel Melia claims that it is within walking distance to Museum Island and Brandenburg Gate?





Hotel Mercure, on the other hand, seems to have a bit more human touch and more comfortable (?) - I don%26#39;t really know. What is your experience on this?





I am travelling with my old-age parents, so, comfort and convenience are the major considerations for me - not so much on the budget side.





I am grateful for your sharing of thoughts or experience on this, or, suggestions of other better alternatives.







Regards,



Edward




|||



Hotel Melia is much better located for transport (Friedrichstrasse Station) and Museum Island . Less than 5 mins to each!



You are also really near Scheunenviertel with Neue Synagogue (Centrum Judaicum), Hackescher Höfe, and Sophienstrasse (which is one of my favourite streets, really charming to wander along, pop into the courtyards etc).



Brandenburg Gate also walkable but prob 10-15 mins. You can walk along the riverbank to the Reichstag or go down to Unter den Linden and along. Potsdamer Platz is a bit further but otherwise 2 stops on S-Bahn. Checkpoint Charlie you cd get to by U-Bahn.



You%26#39;ve also got a boat-trips on your doorstep as one of the companies has a landing stage right by the hotel and it%26#39;s well worth doing.



From Tegel airport (for transcontinental flights) a taxi wd be less tha 20€ I wd think, certainly no more than that. That%26#39;s simpler than TXL bus and S-Bahn Hauptbahnhof to Friedrichstrasse which is public transport option.



Melia is an upmarket Spanish chain with a very good reputation. Part of Solmelia group; we%26#39;ve stayed several times at Tryp hotels (slightly less luxurious chain in same group) and have always been very satisfied. The Melia in Berlin only opened last autumn so facilities should be excellent.




|||



Thanks very much, Lynda.





Your advice has been very helpful to me who visit Berlin for the first time. All the best.




|||



You%26#39;re welcome! I%26#39;m sure you%26#39;ll love it, it%26#39;s a wonderful city.



Another tip for sightseeing: the S-Bahn route between Alexanderplatz (or Hackescher Markt ) and Zoologischer Garten is very scenic, particularly doing it from Zoo to Alex. You go past Tiergarten park, and all the new governent buildings for example and between the museums on Museum Island.




|||



Being a Berliner myself, I nevertheless stayed once at the Melia (won that stay in a prize draw). Furthermore, having to do with hotel bookings as part of my job, I once took a tour of the Mercure Checkpoint Charlie.





When money doesn%26#39;t matter, I would absolutely stay at the Melia, which is a far more upmarket property and is located in a livelier neighbour hood. If you have the chance, do upgrade to Executive Floor (they offer it usually at check-in), where you can enjoy drinks and snacks day-round.





That said, the Mercure is a nice property, too, but plays in another league.




|||



Thanks, Lynda; thanks, JanBerlin:





It has been so kind of you offering your suggestions. Your hospitalities have really added another beautiful dimensions to the attractiveness of the City and to my travel. I%26#39;ll try to take up your advices.





I really look forward to our family trip in Berlin. It is going to be wonderful.





THanks again.




|||



-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic was inactive for 6 months and has been closed to new posts. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 3:16 pm, September 01, 2009

No comments:

Post a Comment